Top 10 Ways To Dial Up The Romance
If ever there was a place made for romance, it’s Miami. Since its fame as a romantic oasis during hard times in the late 1930s, Miami has inspired couples to escape their routines and reignite their passion.
Miami arouses the senses, with its warm, sultry breezes, white sandy beaches, azure waters, fragrant tropical flowers and gently swaying palm trees. Fueling the fire are our dreamy hotels, delectable restaurants, stimulating arts and culture and steamy nightlife – all presided over by a golden tropical sun and the infamous Moon over Miami.
Whether you’re newly enamored lovebirds or long-term partners, Greater Miami and the Beaches offers many ways to dial up the romance. Here are the top ten:
1. Settle into a sexy suite – From grand historic resorts to chic boutique hotels, Miami offers lovers every style of lodging. Each June, hotels offer special deals during Miami Romance Month (www.MiamiRomanceMonth.com), but there are also great year-round packages for every budget.
There are many romantic properties in Miami, but several stand out among the sexiest, some including spacious suites where couples can indulge in sweet captivity. The Setai, a tranquil, stunning Asian-inspired resort in Miami Beach, has 50 spacious suites which set the stage for love, with features such as in-room tubs for personal spa treatments, "rainfall" showers and baths clad in granite, teak and silk and mood lighting. The ultra-luxury resort offers intimate retreats, from secluded beachside sitting areas to the sunken pod in the outdoor courtyard, to the passion-inducing Love Bath at the Spa, complete with “Love Potion” bath oil, champagne and canapés. The all-suite hotel tower at Fontainebleau Miami Beach combines spacious sitting areas and kitchenettes with sweeping vistas overlooking Biscayne Bay. The hotel’s stylish bars and restaurants, as well as its über nightclub LIV, are great places to raise your pulse. If you really want to splurge, book the "Presidential" suite at the Perry South Beach. The 3,600-square-foot suite features a pair of fully furnished balconies with panoramic ocean views; a gourmet kitchen and dining room; an entertainment room equipped with Sony's finest electronics, Italian pool and foosball tables; oversized Jacuzzi baths, fine Egyptian cotton linens and custom-designed furnishings. Another hot hotel is the Standard Miami, where couples seeking sensual balance can enjoy sunset waterfront yoga lawns, a garden fire lounge, a Roman waterfall hot tub and rooms which get the imagination going such as Missionary, Lush, Wet and the Full Spread. Other fabulous South Beach properties known for their romantic vibe are Kimpton’s Surfcomber Hotel, W Hotel, Mondrian, Dream, Breakwater, The Betsy and the Victor Hotel.
The oceanfront St. Regis Bal Harbour features wide balconies perfect for sunsets, private royal cabanas and presidential cabana suites with personal pool retreats for newlyweds or couples looking for that extra bit of privacy. The signature St. Regis butler service allows for any request to be fulfilled making every fantasy come true, with private wine tastings at the lobby bar. Nearby the ONE Bal Harbour Resort and Spa features free-standing tubs with eye-popping floor-to-ceiling views, with walk-in showers made for two.
Over on the mainland in Coconut Grove, the Mayfair Hotel & Spa offers 179 intimate suites with every amenity imaginable, where couples can mingle at the Rooftop Cabana Club—featuring a pool and lounge—or get pampered at Jurlique Spa with side-by-side treatments. Looking to pop the question with style? The Conrad Miami offers a “Down on One Knee” package, including monogrammed mementos and custom tailored activities as well as a romantic dinner for two at Atrio with a special romantic menu and wine pairings. Those looking for romance with an Old World flair can stay at the historic Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables, which boasts Spanish Mediterranean architecture, a palatial lobby and lush, magnificent grounds that include a golf course and the largest hotel swimming pool in the country with elegant furnished cabanas and Roman statues overlooking your antics. Other great romantic hotels on the mainland include the J.W. Marriott Marquis and Hotel Beaux Arts.
2. Sip a sunset drink – At the DiLido Beach Club at the Ritz-Carlton in South Beach, couples can sit right on the beach with their feet in the sand as they sip cocktails in a Moroccan-inspired setting. Hanging lanterns, swinging hammocks and white draping curtains create the mystique of Arabian nights. At Smith & Wollensky in Miami Beach, couples can watch an endless parade of cruise ships passing through the Government Cut against the magnificent backdrop of the downtown Miami skyline.
3. Take a table for two – A full-fledged culinary hot spot, Miami offers a breathtaking array of romantic restaurants. Perhaps the ultimate for lovers is Tantra. Based on ancient Indian spiritual philosophy, the Miami Beach restaurant and lounge serves international "aphrodisiac" cuisine and beguiles its patrons with an entranceway paved with fresh grass, a softly lit marble waterwall, sleek ultrasuede banquettes and walls lined with sunset-hued silk. Looking to impress your sweetie? Head to Juvia, a penthouse level restaurant with soaring water and city views at 1111 Lincoln Road. The bohemian-chic space features a vertical garden, designed by internationally acclaimed botanist Patrick Blanc, which invokes the lushness of the Amazon rainforest. Much like the restaurant’s design, the menu embraces the gorgeous bounty of nature, with the finest ingredients sourced locally and globally. Another sure way to get your lover’s heart to beat faster is the Sensory Odyssey dinner at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, which presents a five-course aphrodisiac-infused dinner served by a private butler in an idyllic, secluded oceanfront gazebo bathed in candlelight and filled with scattered rose petals. The Redfish Grill in Matheson Hammock also oozes romance. Its beachfront patio has tables decked out in crisp white linens and crystal beneath towering palm trees encircled by twinkling white lights. Beyond the lagoon-shaped beach, the Miami skyline glistens like a diamond necklace. Gibraltar at the Grove Isle Hotel and Spa in Coconut Grove, is equally enchanting. The romantic, open-air tables at this private island sanctuary offer candlelit elegance, sweeping views and gourmet fare. Other romantic favorites include the Palme d’Or at the charming Biltmore, Azul in the dazzling Mandarin Oriental Hotel on Brickell Key and Cecconi’s at the Soho Beach House.
4. Party the night away – With some of the hippest nightclubs on the planet, Miami offers something for everyone. Louis Bar Lounge, Mokai, SET, LIV and Mansion are five of the hottest dance clubs. For jazz lovers Jazid or Van Dyke Café won't disappoint. For those looking to heat things up with a Latin beat, dance the night away at Hoy Como Ayer (Today, Like Yesterday) in Little Havana, featuring live bands and top DJs.
Nightlife in the downtown Brickell area has also heated up considerably in recent years. Novecento, the Miami sibling of the decade-old restaurant in SoHo, has a great ambiance and intriguing food with live DJs Wednesday through Saturday in a hot-hot bar scene. Segafredo Brickell (this place might have also closed, please check) exudes the warmth and charm of an Italian café with posh indoor and outdoor seating areas and a boutique nightclub known as Spazio Nero. The Blue Martini is equally chic, with an outdoor patio bar serving 25 different martinis, wine and spirits, "stage room" with live entertainment and VIP room.
5. Take a midnight dip in a cool pool – Nearly every Miami hotel has a swimming pool that is every bit as enticing during clear "Moon over Miami" evenings as during sultry days. The luxuriously long and slender infinity pool at The National Hotel in South Beach, for example, heats up when the sun goes down thanks to the ultra-chic Zee Pool Lounge. The Perry South Beach is home to the “plunge” rooftop bar and lounge which features a 110-foot long swimming pool, poolside lounges and cabanas as well as an awe inspiring city and ocean view. The curvaceous beauty at The Raleigh is enveloped by a sweet-scented hedge of tropical foliage and has a cascading waterfall and poolside bar. Befitting a National Historic Landmark, The Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables boasts the largest hotel pool in the continental United States. A frequent backdrop for movies and fashion spreads, the colossal pool is as romantic today as it was during its heyday of hosting grand aquatic shows. Take a sexy dip in the Clinton Hotel’s Jacuzzi pool and follow up with Kama Sutra products in your room.
6. Pack a picnic – Although dining in one of Miami’s sensational restaurants, where it’s all about the scene as much as the cuisine, is a must, it’s also great to take your plate outdoors in tropical splendor. From picnics on the beach, to Miami’s beautiful parks, there are many ways to enjoy a romantic picnic. One of the best places is Fairchild Tropical Garden, featuring 83-acres of exotic plants and flowers – the perfect place to spend the day eating chocolate-dipped strawberries and other treats from a well-stocked picnic basket. Couples can sit under the shade of ylang-ylang trees and inhale the sweet scent of their blossoms, the primary ingredient in Chanel No. 5 perfume. The nearby Deering Estate offers great spots to picnic, as well as a romantic Valentine’s Day concert and beautiful bayview historic homes perfect for proposing. Those looking for an urban picnic can enjoy one at the New World Symphony Center, which occasionally offers free New World Symphony concerts outdoors on their soaring 7,000-squar-foot projection wall.
7. Get decked out in the Art Deco District and Miami’s Art Districts– Dress up in style and step into the grandeur of a bygone era in Miami's famed Art Deco District. Have drinks at The Hotel’s Spire Bar & Lounge and then take a leisurely stroll along Lincoln Road or Ocean Drive, deciding whether Mango's Tropical Café or some other eatery is right for dinner and dancing. Other Ocean Drive hotspots include the Clevelander and The Betsy lobby bar. Or check out downtown Miami’s artsy answer to SoHo – the Design and Wynwood Districts for a night on the town.
8. Indulge yourself at a spa – There's no better way to relax with your partner than to pamper yourselves at one of Miami's sexy spas. Recognized as one of the best spas in America, The Ritz-Carlton Spa in Key Biscayne is an oasis of tropical splendor, offering more than 60 natural therapies based on luscious botanicals. How about his-and-her treatments of a Papaya Mango Body Smoothie and Key Lime Coconut Body Scrub and Soak? The Willow Stream Spa at the Turnberry Isle Miami in Aventura is also haven for letting go of life's daily stress. The spa even offers a Duet Massage where couples nestle side-by-side in a luxurious Mediterranean-style treatment suite. The St. Regis’ Remede Spa in nearby Bal Harbour offers seductive couples treatments, while down south The Standard Spa is a holistic and hydrotherapy-oriented spa is inspired by global bathing cultures, self-teaching and healing. Nearby Uhma Organic Day Spa is the only organic day spa in Miami Beach – perfect for eco-conscious lovers looking for pampering. The two-level, 40,000-square-foot Lapis Spa at Fontainebleau Miami Beach harnesses the natural qualities of water to create a shared experience that is both restorative and renewing for couples looking for age-old techniques with the latest contemporary technology and design.
One of mainland Miami’s most renowned award-winning sanctuaries, the Spa at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, offers several split-level treatment suites with floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning views of the bay. The spa uses bamboo, rice paper, glass and natural linens to achieve an ambiance of total harmony. Drawing on Eastern and Western philosophies of well being, the Jurlique Spa at Mayfair Hotel & Spa is a tranquil sanctuary for mind and body. Holistic in approach, the spa uses organic treatments to restore energy from within while revitalizing skin, face and body – a recognition that outer beauty and inner health go hand in hand.
The trend-setting Rik Rak Salon, Boutique & Bar’s offers stylish couples full service salon and day spa services and fashion boutiques. Located at the JW Marriott Marquis Miami, Hotel Beaux Arts Miami and Sports Club LA at the Four Seasons Miami, couples can have it all from highlights and high heels to delectable espresso (double check they still offer an espresso facial) facials and side-by-side massages. Nearby the 28,000-square-foot, Philippe Starck designed Spa at W Miami, features a state-of-the-art gym and wellness classes, a 5,000squarefoot water lounge with a floating library, a reflecting pond, hot and cold plunge pools and floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking Key Biscayne and a couple’s treatment suite. Kimpton’s Epic Hotel boasts Exhale, the renowned lifestyle mind body spa brand, which features 12,000-square-foot oasis on the 15th and 16th floors with many awe-inspiring city and waterway views, well-known spa therapies and transformational mind body fitness experiences. Couples visiting in July and August can find special offers at www.MiamiSpaMonth.com.
9. Romance under the stars – The Magic City is even more magical taking in 360-degree views at one of many rooftop lounges, such as Townhouse Hotel, Perry South Beach and The Hotel. Other great ways to find romance under the stars include walk hand-in-hand along the Miami Beach boardwalk or take a guided evening tour of the breathtaking gardens of Vizcaya Museum and Garden, a National Historic Landmark estate on Biscayne Bay. Take a moonlight canoe trip or kayak tour along the Coral Gables Waterway, the historic Oleta River or through the hidden waterways of Key Biscayne. Take an evening dance cruise from Bayside Marketplace, or hold hands with your partner as you gaze at the stars from the Miami Science Museum’s rooftop observatory, which opens the first Friday every month.
10. Attractions for Lovers – With the right person, just about any activity or place can be romantic. But Miami lets you take it up a notch with places like the World Erotic Art Museum, home of the largest collection of erotic art in America and featuring paintings, tapestries, sculptures and art objects from various times and cultures devoted to love. Built as a Valentine to a lost love, Coral Castle is the perfect place for remind you not to take your love for granted. Mysteriously constructed under the cover of darkness between 1923 and 1951 by Latvian immigrant Ed Leedskalnin, no one knows how he was able to move and sculpt 1,100 tons of coral rock into a modest but stylish monument to love. Sweep your sweetie off his or her feet with Miami Seaquarium’s swim with the dolphins experience, or on Miami Balloon Rides, whose sunrise flights over the amazing Everglades, Biscayne Bay and Atlantic Ocean climax with a post-ride picnic celebration with champagne. Private rides for two as well as “Will You Marry Me” banners are available for in-flight proposals.
For more information on romantic hotspots and activities, check out www.MiamiRomanceMonth.com.
The Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau (GMCVB) is an independent not-for-profit sales and marketing organization whose mission is to attract visitors to Greater Miami and the Beaches for leisure, business and conventions. For a vacation guide, visit our website at www.MiamiAndBeaches.com or call 1-888-76-Miami (US/Canada only) or 305-447-7777. To reach the GMCVB offices dial 305-539-3000. Meeting planners may call 1-800-933-8448 (US/Canada only) or 305-539-3071 or visit www.MiamiMeetings.com.